Sunday 16 March 2014

POTW 7 Wakey Wakey



Hello there lovelies

This weeks POTW is the Sleep Cycle app. I wouldn’t consider myself to have any kind of problem when it comes to sleep. I very rarely have a bad nights sleep, sometimes it will take me a bit longer to drift off if I’ve not wound down for long enough but generally I’m ok and once I’m asleep I don’t wake again until my alarm goes off. I really struggle with getting up in the morning though, I need like 10 alarms and I’m a pro at putting it on snooze with my eyes closed, it takes me a good half hour before I feel properly awake too. I got this app as I wanted to see if my sleep was as good as I considered it to be, I got some surprising results. The sleep cycle app is effectively an alarm clock but what it does is monitor your sleep pattern so it wakes you up when your in the lightest phase of sleep instead of trying to wake out of deep sleep leaving you feeling tired. Instead of setting an alarm for a specific time you set for a period of time that you want to wake up, for example, you want to wake up at 7am you set the alarm for 6.30-7am and in that 30 minute period the app alarm will sound when you are in the lightest phase of sleep causing you to wake up feeling more refreshed instead of trying to pull you out of deep sleep. You place your phone at the top corner of your mattress and your supposed to keep it plugged in to the charger- I don’t do this as I don’t like keeping my phone plugged in overnight, I just make sure it’s fully charged before I go to bed, and it monitors your movements throughout the night. 



It also gives you the option of documenting any activities you’ve done before bedtime to see if they affect sleep quality. I think the theory of this is really clever and I can see why it works. It doesn’t improve your sleep but it gives you an insight into the sort of sleep you have and aims to wake you at the best time so you don’t continue to feel tired. When my alarm sounds I don’t get that sleepy groggy feeling and the feeling of needing just 5 more minutes in bed. Although it doesn’t seem to correlate with how I’ve perceived the nights sleep.

Worst night
Best night




















Friday was apparently my worst night sleep so far and I remember waking up thinking that I thought I had a good nights sleep, if you look at the graph it shows I was in deep sleep for several hours, whereas the night of the 8/9th March showed my sleep quality as higher but it looked as though I had a pretty restless night so I’m not sure how that works.

I’ve really enjoyed using this app over the last 10 nights and will continue to use it as I find it interesting. Anything that makes its easier for me to get up in the morning is a real plus in my world. The app cost 69p, which is really good and well worth the money, I don’t know if it’s available on devices other than iPhones though.

What do you think of this app? Are you a morning person? Do you have any problems with sleeping or waking up?

Until next time

2 comments:

  1. I can sleep for days but getting up is a nightmare :') Did you find waking up with the alarm of this app easier than a regular alarm?

    Ellie xx | http://theleobeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do, if I get up straight away I feel less tired than if I use the snooze function. xx

      Delete